Wild Red-winged Parrots Toowoomba Region

Red-winged Parrots (Aprosmictus erythropterus) Toowoomba Region

This morning I spotted by chance, a pair of Red-winged Parrots (Aprosmictus erythropterus) in trees by the road-side in one of our favourite rural birding spots in the north-western Toowoomba region.  I have not seen them at this location before, but I note that we did have a visiting pair to Jarowair a couple of years ago, which I wondered were escaped pets at first, but on enquiry with Mick from the Toowoomba Bird Observers Club, we were informed that there have in fact been plenty of sightings of Red-winged Parrots in the northern Toowoomba Region in the past.

This pair today weren't keen on posing for the camera, I got a couple of pics of the male photographed from the window of the car, but as soon as I emerged from the car, they took off far across adjoining farmland.  What a beautiful start to the morning.  The photos are very ordinary, but I had to add them to the blog for my records for the future.

Red-winged Parrots (Aprosmictus erythropterus) Toowoomba Region

Red-winged Parrots are found in open, dry woodlands, timber-lined watercourses and arid scrub and sometimes in mangroves. They spend most of the day in trees. Red-winged Parrots are widespread in northern and eastern Australia and are also found in southern New Guinea and Irian Jaya.  
(Source:  Birdlife)

J Gray

Comments